domingo, 10 de abril de 2011

My Classroom Observation at a Junior High School Level





My class observation took place at Centro Escolar Alejandro de Humboldt, which is a public institution located here in Ahuachapán. Teacher Mike is the English teacher in charge of teaching English to seventh, eighth and ninth grades in the afternoon. Conveniently with my schedule, I observed two of his classes with seventh grade. The first thing I notice when entering in the classroom is the typical arrangement of desks. After he introduced me to the class, he gave me the opportunity to talk to the students, but he told me to do it in English and so I did. During my speech, I quickly realized that they did not understand. Right there I saw the challenge I was facing. The class began at 1:15pm, and it was hot. Students had been playing soccer before, but they were anxious to begin the class. Teacher Mike first wrote the date on the board. Taking advantage of the numbers in the date, teacher Mike teaches the students the ordinal numbers. Then, he began teaching about personal items. He asked students to lend him some items. After showing to them the item, they repeated the word and he wrote a sentence on the board for each item they studied. He somehow tried to use the real objects to help students learn the words. I noticed that students were willing to participate. And they did, the teacher who is a very experienced teacher knows they need to practice in order to learn. At the end, I really enjoy the teacher’s class. I got to help him and help some students.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario